Monday, 25 May 2015

Scavenger Hunt May 2015

Not as easy as I thought! Isn't that always true. Mostly taken yesterday either at home or on a trip to York.

1.Blue



Speedwell one of my favourite fowers, but lacking sharpness

2. Crystal

One of Mum's sherry glasses - not as big as you are thinking
 
3. Vintage
An old farm roller abandoned on a Dales Farm
 
4. Fluff
No I'm making that up, I don't know what he's called.
 
5. Global
Yellow globes on Belisha beacons.
 
6. Mask
Not a success, a Venetian style mask in a window.
 
7.Bus
The Ghost Bus, a once beautiful Red Routemaster, but now faded black.

8. Frame
Window Frame - framing windows.
I found this one the most difficult to find something to meet the title and I think it shows.

9. Collection
A collection of Rubber Ducks, sadly not mine! - another poor shop window shot

10. Poster


Our election is now long gone, but I managed still to find one poster - I was intrigued by the reflected patterns in the glass, which I did not see until I looked at the picture at home.

11. Ribbon
Ribbons on a florist's barrow at the roadside





12. Whatever you want

Lady's Smock or Cuckoo Flower or Milkmaids or Cardamine pratensis.
In fact, almost, whatever you want. Geoffrey Grigson in The Engishman's Flora lists over 40 names for this flower. My new found favourite is Lamb's Lakens (lakens meaning playthings) from Cumberland, we often used larking for playing when I was at school in North Yorkshire. These ones photographed in evening light in a field near Castle Howard.

 

17 comments:

  1. Hi John, you have done really well, loving all the photos. You must remember to log them on Greenthumb on the first of June so other people will come and see them. Just click the camera on my side bar and it will take you there.Having said that I'm not doing it this month, what with Garden bioblitz next weekend and we are all doing the 30 days wild for the month of June and I have a pantlife survey to do! something had to be dropped.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda, I think/hope that I have now got that sorted. Fantastic time for the flowers now. I always found May and June were the best months for wild fowers.
      John

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the hunt! Really enjoyed looking at all of your photos, and picking up on your humour as well. Fluff is the perfect name for the duckling...gosling...I don't know! Your last photo is amazing! What a beauty~ I enjoyed reading the numerous names of the plant, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glo, thank you for your kind comments. My first attempt and I suspect it will get harder each month!

      Delete
  3. These are lovely photos, I've enjoyed looking at them and love the ones you have taken of the speedwell and lady's smock also the window frames I love the reflections in them:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosie, I wish I could claim that I saw the refelctions in both the windows pictures before I took them, but it's the result that counts. I love taking pictures of "wild" flowers and sometimes they are just right.

      Delete
  4. Love the speedwells and the duckling. I call the pink flowers May flowers. That photo is gorgeous. I agree that May and June are the best for flowers.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shazza, the duckling is in fact a gosling. I don't think its parents were too impresed when I got close. Mayflower is one of the 40 names given (from Somerset, Hampshire, Cheshire, Lancashire and Yorkshire).

      Delete
  5. 30 names for one flower?!??!! Wow! Oh fluffy, fluffy duck!!!!! I love it!!! The ribbons photo is the best interpretation I've seen!!! You've taught me something too, I did not know those were called Belisha Beacons! The way you captured so many in one shot was very clever.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kezzie, I suspect the name Belisha Beacons goes back to my childhood. From memory Hoare Belisha was the Minister of Transport who intoduced then, long befoe I was born. I did have to check in the dictionary to see that it is still an accepted name

      Delete
  6. Hi and welcome,thanks for taking part in this months scavenger hunt. I like your photos of frame,bus,ribbon and whatever you want. Greenthumb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Greenthumb, Thank you for organising the hunt. I think it's just what I need to get me out and taking more photographs. Frustrating trying to think of the last few but hugely enjoyable when it all comes together at the end.

      Delete
  7. Nicely done, John! And welcome to our hunt! It's always fun to see new people join in! I found your frame photo really striking, and the rubber duck photo was comical and playful! The lovely Venetian mask was taken from a cool angle, and that was one category that had me tearing my hair out. Happy hunting in June!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I can't claim any real input on the mask. Like you I was struggling to think of something for "mask" and just saw that in an antique shop window. It was the only angle that the camera would take a reasonable picture at and the 6 others I took of it were blurred and out of focus!

      Delete
  8. Glad you've joined in with us on the hunt though you did start with a difficult month - I really scratched my head over some of the categories. Particularly like your Frame - very clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. Having looked at June's categories I was beginning to think that I had started with an easy month.

      Delete
  9. I think you nailed it. Great choices and enjoyed my visit to you.

    ReplyDelete