Monday, 31 October 2016

Friday 28th October - Lastingham

Once a month, on a Friday afternoon, I go walking with my former colleagues. Unfortunately I had not realised that this was half term holiday and the road north to Pickering was packed with holiday traffic.
In Lastingham we noticed the proverb over a cottage door, amd I wondered why I had not seen this before. It looks as though parts of the quotation have been expurgated.


In fact the quotation appears in Poor Richard's Almanack of 1745 and it does appear to have been shortened to save the stone mason's effort, or just to fit it all on the stone. The full version is:
      "The good or ill hap of a good or ill life,
        is the good or ill choice of a good or ill wife."

so it has saved carving "good or ill" three times. At ever so many pence a letter a worthwhile saving!

By the foot of an ash tree a nest of fungus in the fallen leaves. I guess they will all emerge as capped fungus in the next few days like the next photo.


Our walk lead us northwards to Ana's Cross, in the distance to both the east and west we could see plumes of smoke where the heather was being burnt off. These are the grouse moors of the National Park and the heather is burnt in rotation to produce fresh young shoots for the grouse to feed on.

After a brief stop for a drink we turned and headed south back to Lastingham down the ridge. 

As we got nearer to Lastingham we found the sheep and the sun began to break through the clouds giving a fine sunset to the west.


 




1 comment:

  1. Another lovely walk and photos - the sunset looks stunning - love the sunlight on the sheep :) The motto is interesting - I don't think I have heard that one before. I often wonder when I see something new at a place often visited how on earth I have missed it before but it happens a lot!

    Thanks so much for leaving a comment on the Chastleton House post - in case you miss my reply - please check opening times if and when you visit as I think it is one of the NT properties closed over the winter. Long Compton nearby has a very unusual lychgate (which I am yet to visit) and the Rollright stones are superb - so steeped in history and atmosphere :)

    ReplyDelete